Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Reef n Beef

Well Jo Girl has finally had her way with me, apparently, and I didn't have a bloody clue!

Reef and Beef would have to be Jo's all time numero uno dinner, by the sounds of it and I had no intention of sitting here to tell you about it either, but I was given an ultimatium,


"Go write your blog or I'll write it for you"!!!


My response was "For crying out loud Jo, it's only a steak and a few prawns"  
but no to her it was the absolute best meal I could ever have possibly cooked her, better than some recent fine dining experiences we have enjoyed!, well I enjoyed them at any rate!!
Just goes to show, you can take the girl out of GirraDoola but you can't take the GirraDoola out of the girl!  And honestly why would you, she is so gorgeous, as were the ooh's and ahh's she expressed with every mouthful of tonight's dinner.

The steak was a beautiful Beef Eye Fillet, I have come to love this cut of meat, so full of flavour, easy to cook and it gets Jo soo excited, her eyes light up as big as the steak itself!
I got the sauce I prepared to go with it tonight, from the pages of "Home Cooked with Julie Goodwin" which is Julie's (winner MC1) daytime cooking show, haven't seen a lot of the show and what I have didn't really excite me, but I have come to trust her recipes and this one was as usual good, easy to make and I had everything I needed either in the fridge or the pantry, just perfect after a long day at the office on a Tuesday night.


For the sauce you need
16 green king prawns, shelled, deveined, tails intact 
20g butter
3 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup white wine (alternatively ¼ cup beef stock)
1 cup cream
1 tablespoon cornflour
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped



Cook your steak the way you like it, then set it aside in a warm spot to rest, cover with foil.
Heat oil in the same pan and cook prawns 1-2 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Lower the heat to medium and add butter and garlic to the pan; cook gently until soft. Stir in wine and cook for a further minute. Add cream and pepper and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
Dissolve cornflour in a little water and stir into the sauce to thicken, a little at a time, until desired consistency. Cook for 3-4 minutes until thickened and the cornflour has cooked out. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Toss prawns and parsley into the sauce and heat gently until warm through.
To serve, place steaks onto each dinner plate and top each with 4 prawns and a good dollop of cream sauce.
I served the meat with honey roasted baby carrots and baked potato, but you could have just about anything with it, salad and chips would be spot on, it was a very tasty meal indeed.

5 comments:

  1. By the way, there is no apology for the juices that have oozed out of that wonderful piece of meat, that is just the way I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you cook so many fine dishes -but this one is hit all the right buttons for me! Forget the fine dining (12 course meals) Every mouthful the flavours kept intensifying - is that because I'm a slow eater? - who cares!
    Great cooking Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Jo Girl, love cooking for ya, and the fact that I have a reader of this blog!!!! I love you long time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for this useful article. I like it.  https://allasiarecipes.com/

    ReplyDelete