Thursday, May 26, 2011

Marinated Butterflied Leg of Lamb with home baked vegetables

After not getting home till way after dinner time last night, I took off from work today at 3:30 as I wanted plenty of time to cook the night’s meal, and a good thing I did too as Princess Joey had to work back yet again.  But that was fine tonight, I was home in time to make up a marinade for my butterflied leg of lamb and it has worked out sooo goood.

I made the marinade with a half cup of balsamic, a quarter cup of EV olive oil, a splash of red wine vinegar, few sprigs of rosemary and a bunch of thyme, squeeze of lemon, a little salt and pepper, 3 tablespoons of capers, four cloves of garlic thinly sliced.
I put all the ingredients in a sealable bag and gave it a good mix before adding the lamb, then got as much air out of the bag as possible, massaged the meat with all the good stuff inside the bag and placed it in the fridge, for what ended up being a little over two hours.

In the meantime I threw together a Kumato and Potato bake.  Kumato’s are like a tomato but really dark in colour, almost brown and very strong flavoured.

When it was time to cook the meat, I sealed both sides on the grill, then placed it in a roasting dish with the marinade, to which I added a glass of dry white wine, I think I will half the wine next time to end up with a slightly thicker sauce.

Kumato and Potato bake
This recipe came together as I put it together and may need a little tweaking next time round, but for tonight it went like this

3 Ruby Lou potatoes
5 Kumatoe’s, use tomatoes if you can’t get kumatoe’s
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 red chilli, seeds removed thinly sliced then chopped
½ teaspoon smokey paprika
50 g pecerrio cheese, grated
50 g Gruyere Cheese, grated
500 ml chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Knob or two of butter 
Place the potatoes in a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook for six minutes from when water boils, remove cool down and cut into slices.  Halve and thinly slice the onion and cook in a moderate pan with a little butter, add a clove of garlic and the chilli sweat down slowly while the potatoes cook.  Meanwhile, slice your Kumato’s or Tomatoes and grate the cheese’s. 















To assemble, first grease the casserole with a little butter, then lay out some potato, spread out half the onion,  sprinkle a little paprika over the top, then a layer of kumato’s, more onion a sprinkle of pecorino cheese and another layer of potato.  Now grate the gruyere over the top, don’t be stingy, crack a little pepper then pour in chicken stock.  Cook in a preheated oven to 180C for an hour.

I felt I needed to add a little more colour to the meal, so as an accompaniment,  I roasted half a bunch of baby carrots in Maple syrup with a half cup of caper berries, I added the caper berries in case the Maple syrup was a little too sweet for Jo, and well because we both love roasted Capper Berries!
Jo finally arrived home from work at 7PM, a big day at work for her, however her timing was perfect as everything was cooked and all I needed to do was set the table whilst I rested the meat for 10 minutes, enough time for her to open a nice bottle of red.

I was really pleased with tonight's result, there are a couple of little areas I can or need to tweak, but overall working from my own ideas I was very happy with this meal, and by the way Carrots roasted in Maple syrup with Caper Berries is out of this world, absolute winner!!!
Now there's something I have not done before, photographed the left overs, tomorrow night's dinner, something to look forward too!


No comments:

Post a Comment