Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chicken Soup on a cold winter’s day

Jo decided she was going to make her chicken soup today to ward off the winter cold, unfortunately I forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer for her and as she cooks her chicken soup in a slow cooker, there was not going to be time to both defrost the bird and cook the soup in the manner she normally does.  It was a pity as Jo’s chicken soup in the slow cooker is awesome, it is the only thing that has come out of the slow cooker that has met with my approval, as in my humble opinion everything else cooked in such away tastes the same regardless of what type of meat has been slow stewed.

With an awfully cold day ahead, there was only one solution and that was for me to cook my version of chicken soup, which basically changes every time I cook it, depending as to what I have on hand or what looks good at the fruit and veg store.  Today’s effort included an enormous leek, 2 large carrots, parsnip, turnip, 2 potatoes, 2 sticks of celery, a bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, 2 sprigs thyme, zucchini,  a seeded tomato, a can of white beans, salt and pepper, 2 cups of my homemade chicken stock and a chook of course which I baked for 20 minutes to brown up a bit.   
I was really happy with the end result, and there is nothing better on a cold winters night than a hot bowl of soup and half a loaf of crusty bread, Jo on the other hand, whilst she enjoyed it was a little disappointed as it didn’t come up to scratch against hers, but I can live with that, just as she will live with baked beans on toast for the rest of the week!  Now by the time I had the soup ready, I was very cold, very tired, very hungry and my back was killing me again, so when it came to capturing a photo for this blog, everything I learnt yesterday went out the window, the dial was cranked around to Auto setting, then snap, snap, slurp, slurp, so don’t be too harsh on the quality of the said photo’s attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment