Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Red Cabbage, to go with Pork Involtini


I was home a little earlier tonight as a training course I have been on finished at 4:00, so I ducked into Cedric St to pick a couple of things up Jo needed, saving her the need to do so at a later hour. 

Whilst I was shopping about I picked up a red cabbage, to go with a nice pork fillet I already had in the basket, given I had that little bit of extra time, I thought I might do something different and hopefully nice for Jo Girl.  Having made that decision I picked up a bunch of asparagus and headed for the deli counter to order a few slices of prosciutto and a wedge of fontina cheese, so I could make my Pork Involtini.

Originally thinking I would steam the cabbage, then thought better of it as red cabbage can be a little bitter, so I headed for the PC to Google red cabbage, a couple of things came up, but nothing that really appealed, but I found enough info to inspire me into creating something which would match the pork perfectly.

Red Cabbage
2 tbl spn butter
1-2 shallots, finely sliced
1 golden delicious apple, grated
Pinch of nutmeg
½ red cabbage, washed and finely shredded
2 tbl spn balsamic vinegar

Melt butter over medium heat, add the shallots and cook slowly for about five minutes or until nice and tender.
Add the apple and a pinch of nutmeg, stir in well and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, then add the cabbage, mix in well, reduce heat to low and cover the pot, leave to cook for 4-5 minutes.
Season well with salt and pepper, add the balsamic, stir though and cook a couple more minutes with the lid off, add more butter, salt and pepper to taste, serve hot as a side dish.

Pork Involtini
300 – 400 gram pork fillet
Cabernet Paste
100g fontina cheese, cut into batons
Bunch asparagus
6 slices prosciutto
Salt and pepper

Prepare the pork by first slicing through the centre of the fillet, careful not to cut all the way through, butterfly out and pound with a rolling pin or an empty bottle.
Season well with salt and pepper, spread a couple of teaspoons of Maggie Beers Cabernet Paste over the meat, then lay half the asparagus and cheese across the meat, roll the meat over the asparagus and cheese back onto itself, allowing a little bit of an overlap, then cut through the fillet. 

Place on top of the slices of prosciutto and roll.  Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make a second roll.
To cook, quickly brown all over in a hot non-stick pan, transfer to a preheated oven @ 200 degrees for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven, rest for 5 minutes, slice across the roll cutting slices 12-15mm thick, serve with mashed potato, cabbage and a red wine sauce.

As luck would have it, Jo had to work back later than usual, but thankfully I had not started cooking the meat when she phoned so I was able to turn everything off and just reheat the vegetables whilst I rested the meat, made for a very tasty meal and the red cabbage was sensational!

No comments:

Post a Comment