Thursday, September 2, 2010

Poached prawns with rice noodles, cucumber and Thai herbs

Absolutely delicious! 

Every now and then I’ll come across a Thai recipe that I can’t let go of, without going out to get the ingredients just to try it out, and when it happens, I love to shop at my favourite Asian supermarket, for the hard to get ingredients.  
So when I saw Thai basil, palm sugar and kaffir leaves on this recipe I headed straight for the Lucky Import and Export Co in Brisbane St, Northbridge.


It always cracks me up when I have to ask for help, because usually the person I ask can’t speak a word of English, so they’ll rush of and find someone who does, that person will tell them what I want and the non English speaker will then rush off speaking gobbly gook and pointing at whatever it is I want!  It works, I get what I want but the poor bugger is usually running around like a chook with its head freshly chopped off and then I’ll turn and say “Can you tell me…”! and it starts all over again.  It is a fantastic little store though, and I could spend hours there investigating what they have, be a damn side easier though once in a while, if I could communicate with more of the staff, at least they are there to help, something lacking in most of the big supermarkets, and they really are lovely people, luv em.

I found the recipe on Gourmet Traveller, which is becoming the norm on a work day, I was drawn to the dish by both the combination of ingredients and the ease of preparation.  Once again I have not been disappointed, you experience all the elements of flavour in this dish hot, sour, salty and sweet, the meal was fresh, light and oh so tasty, the perfect meal for the perfect spring day we had today.  Now I know Jo enjoyed it without even asking her, never heard so many ooh's and ah's in my life, well not for a few days anyway!
Opps forgot the recipe find it here on Gourmet Traveller

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jack,
    It's been a couple of days now since you cooked this dish....when can we have it again??????
    Love Jo

    ReplyDelete