Sunday, February 5, 2012

Vegetarian Potato Kugel


I had roast lamb for lunch at my Mum's place today and as most of you would know there is nothing better than Mum's roast!  Today's was no exception, she never ceases to amaze me with her cooking, and at 89 years of age this year, she has not lost her touch.  Another thing that amazes me about my Mum is the way she is still keen to try new dishes out, as we were enjoying a quite drink before lunch, Mum was telling me of a zucchini slice she done recently, to share over lunch with her sisters, I said it sounded nice so with that she produced the recipe.  It was in an old, very old Woman's Weekly recipe book, one that has been much loved by the look of it, I could see some of the more used pages by the sticky tape that was holding them in place.  Stuck in between the pages were numerous hand written recipes and snippets, just the kind of book I like to sit and read and ask question of the owner, but alas I did not have my glasses, so all I could do was have my good wife write the recipe for Zucchini Slice down for me.  As she did so, I noticed a photo of what looked to me like a potato pie of sorts, so I had Jo write that one out also, it was exactly what I have been looking for and had attempted unsuccessfully  without a recipe, so I could not wait to get home and throw this together for our lunches this week, it is a vegetarian dish, and probably a first for this blog, but it looks, smells and from the little tiny bit I have tried tastes fantastic!  Looking forward to my lunch tomorrow when I will be enjoying Vegetarian Potato Kugel with a green salad.  I only put a little of the cheese on to keep the calories down, also cannot wait to go back and have a good look at some of them hand written notes!! Bon Appétit.

3 med potatoes
2 sml carrots
1 sml onion
1 clove garlic
1 egg
1tbl spn Olive Oil
2 tbl spn chopped parsley
2 tbl spn wholemeal bread crumbs
½ cup milk powder
½ cup grated tasty cheese
15 g butter
2 shallots

Grate potatoes, carrots and onion, combine with crushed garlic.
Lightly beat the egg with oil, pour over grated vegetables, stir in chopped parsley, breadcrumbs and milk powder.
Spread into well grease pie dish (base 20cm), bake in moderate oven 30 minutes, sprinkle with cheese, bake a further 15 minutes.

Serves 4 to 6


Nutrition Facts
 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories                            224.7
Total Fat                               7.9 g    
Saturated Fat                         4.1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat               0.6 g
Monounsaturated Fat             2.6 g
Cholesterol                          44.5 mg
Sodium                               156.8 mg
Potassium                           742.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate              32.2 g    
Dietary Fiber                          4.4 g    
Sugars                                     4.7 g
Protein                                    8.0 g

1 comment:

  1. Loves so good. Could you tell me what kind of potatoes you used? Wax or starchy?

    Thanks
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete