Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Curried Sausages and Apples

I always find it funny when I shop, every now and then I will buy an ingredient, just because I like that ingredient so much, such was the case the other day when I was at the deli bar and I saw my favourite big thick Italian sausages, just the sight of them made my mouth water!
It was only after buying four of those big boys and placing them in my trolley that it occurred to me that I would have to now cook them in some manner, but by the time I got to the checkout I had made my decision and I have been hanging out to cook my very own recipe for Curried Sausages and Apples since.

I had to make my very own recipe because I could not find anything like what I wanted to do with these big boys, I wanted the curry to be similar as that my Mum would make, and I also wanted to include apples in the dish, after that all I wanted was a nice balance between spicy n hot rounded out with a little bit of sweetness.
My only concern with the result was always going to be what Jo thought of it, as this dish contained two of her least favourites, yellow curry and sweetness.  That is why I had to laugh when she sat to eat her dinner and exclaimed with a surprised voice “Oh I thought we didn’t have any potatoes” and then a little latter after I mentioned something about the sausages, she began to laugh as she had thought she was eating chicken!
With that I had to think to myself, job well done!

Curried Sausages and Apples
Ingredients
4 thick Italian pork sausages
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp grated ginger
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 carrot, julienned
½ red capsicums, julienned
2 tablespoon madras Curry powder
2 tablespoon plain flour
1 ½ cups chicken stock
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and quartered and halved again
½ cup sultanas
Garnish
¼ cup coriander
8 cherry tomatoes
1 red chilli, sliced diagonally
Method
Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, drop the sausages in and reduce to a simmer, cook for 10 minutes, then remove and set aside to cool, once cooled remove the skins, slice thickly on the diagonal, set aside
Heat oil in a heavy based pan, add onions and cook until tender 3-4 minutesAdd the ginger, chilli, garlic and celery cook until fragrant
Add the carrots and capsicums, cook for a couple of minute
Add the curry powder and flour, nix well with other ingredients and cook 1-2 minutes until very fragrant and grainy looking
Remove pot from the heat and slowly add the chicken stock stirring to mix in well, return to heat bring to the boil, stirring occasionally
Add the meat and cover with lid, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for ten minutes
Add the apples and sultanas, cook covered for a further 15 minutes

When you add the meat to the pot, get the rice on, to do so first rinse rice thoroughly, then place in a saucepan to which you add  cups of water for every cup of rice.  Place the lid on top and put the pot onto the hotplate, bring to the boil, once it boils, turn the heat right down as low as it will go and simmer for 15 minutes, I start a timer as soon as the heat goes down and it is important not to lift the lid at all.  Once the 15 minutes is up remove the pot from the heat and sit it somewhere safe, again do not lift the lid, leave it there for another 15 minutes, pt the timer on again!  Once the time goes off the second time you will have perfect steamed rice, now take the lid off and break u a little with a fork, then serve with the curry on top, garnish with coriander, chilli and cherry tomatoes, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment