Sunday, May 29, 2011

Osso Buco with Polenta

After a big day in the kitchen yesterday today felt like a walk in the park, though I did get lumbered with a cleaning job whilst the lady of the house sat at the dining table lashing out orders, but we won’t go into that!

Osso Buco has been a long time favourite in this household, and we are usually hanging out for winter to get here so we can enjoy this lovely warming dish, sad thing is winter still hasn’t arrived really and if autumn is anything to go by, it could be a warm winter!  Alas, all the tradition went out the window on Friday night, when Gary M cooked up his version of Osso Buco in a MC masterclass, and no sooner than he bung his in the oven, the request came through for me to make my version for Joey on Sunday night!  The interesting thing for me from Gary M’s display, was how close his recipe is to my own, the only real difference being the cannelloni beans he added just before putting the pan in the oven, other than that it could be the very same recipe!

I had planned on having our dinner ready at a civilized hour tonight, being a Sunday I thought that shouldn’t be too hard, and then Jo Girl turned around and asked I take her out to the Swan Valley to pick up some of her favourite wine, so here we sit waiting for dinner to hit the table at 7:00 PM!
It was great to go out for a drive though and the people at Windy Creek are as lovely as their wines are, we always go there for the reds they are fantastic, but then today I was easily persuaded to try a Chardonnay that  they have only just released.  It was unbelievably good and as Jo was not with me at the bar, Ruth gave me a bottle to take home and try, so I can see a seafood dish being prepared and presented in the not too distant future, we’ll look forward to that, Thanks Ruth!  If you are intending to pay a visit to the Good Food and Wine show in July, be sure to check out Windy Creek Wines, I guarantee you, you will not be disappointed.
Just as we were not disappointed with the Osso Buco and Polenta tonight, absolutely delicious, why did we have to wait for winter???

The polenta I used tonight was the instant kind, I have always shied away from the instant variety thinking the good old long and slow method had to be better, seems I can be wrong sometimes, this was ready in two minutes and it too was absolutely delicious!  Jo just asked if there was enough left over’s to last the rest of the week, gotta love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment