Friday, August 6, 2010

Steak ‘n veg

I hope tonight’s blog doesn’t disappoint too much, a very ordinary Friday night meal, nothing to get too excited about! I don’t do steak and veg that often, Jo Girl would have me cook it every night if I would, she likes her red meat, especially beef.

It was T-bone on the menu tonight, accompanied by roasted potato and carrot, steamed asparagus and finished with a red wine jus. First time I had done the red wine jus, it was very tasty, simple to make too, 1 tbl spn red wine vinegar, 2 tbl spn red wine and a tsp cracked black pepper heated on high heat for 2 minutes, then add ¾ cup beef stock and cook until reduced by half, easy as that, just before serving, I also added the juices from the steak after it had rested 5 minutes. The roasted spuds came up a treat too, I zapped them for 3 minutes in the micro wave, drizzled some oil over them, a shake of Moroccan spices and baked them for 25 minutes, just yummo, crunchy on the outside creamy smooth on the inside. If you like asparagus, the way I do them is so easy and they always come up perfect, after removing the woody bit at the bottom, peel them from about halfway down the stalk, then they go in a dish with a spoon of water and zapped for 1 minute on high in the microwave, leave them in the dish for a minute or so and they are done.

Now if the food wasn’t yummy enough, the wine we matched it with was! A 2006 Cab Sav Cab Franc Merlot by Wise winery, nicest red I have and in a long time, felt a bit guilty though as it was a gift given by a dinner guest, and on the night it sort of just got put aside, wish I had realised it was so good it would have been on the table that for sure, sorry aunty!

No comments:

Post a Comment